POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announcement: IMBJR has been banned from news.povray.org : Re: Announcement: IMBJR has been banned from news.povray.org Server Time
3 Aug 2024 12:19:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announcement: IMBJR has been banned from news.povray.org
From: Lance Birch
Date: 25 Apr 2004 22:26:28
Message: <408c7354$1@news.povray.org>
"pan" <pan### [at] syixcom> wrote in message news:408c6054@news.povray.org...
> How sad that news.povray.,org is now officially censored.

People love to throw the word "censored" around.

I open my home and allow guests to come in and discuss things within it, and
I provide food and a place to hang their artworks.  The guests know what I
consider acceptable behaviour in my home and they're all rational people and
they feel happy to be there - they have a great time - but one guest becomes
disruptive and starts abusing my other guests and constantly consuming wall
space with artworks that are offensive to me and my guests.  I warn him that
his aggressive and disrespectful behaviour isn't acceptable as a guest in my
home and that if he continues I'll have no choice but to throw him out.  Yet
he continues, knowing that what he is doing is wrong, and taking
entertainment in it.  Is throwing him out censorship?  No, it's exercising
my right as the owner, for the protection of my home, myself, and my guests.

IMBJR knew what constituted acceptable use of this server, and he decided
that he wanted to cause trouble.  Thankfully, people like that aren't
tolerated around here, nor should they be.

> Are there any existant forums not  subject to peculiar and
> religous censorship where artists may post their work without
> any fear of irrational opposition?

He has his own server to post any material he wants, but this isn't his
server.  I don't see how the owner of a server kicking someone off their
server is irrational - they own it, they can do whatever they want with it.
We're just lucky that this server even exists, in my opinion.  99.999% of
users have absolutely no problems on this server because they exercise
common sense and respect the other members of the community.

> Pan

We have a great community of talented, enthusiastic, inspirational and
respectful people here and I'm happy that this action has been taken to
ensure the continued existence of that community.

Lance.

thezone - thezone.firewave.com.au
thehandle - www.thehandle.com